Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Where Do I Start???

Task: In a group of 4 people, create a unique two minute film opening utilizing all prior knowledge.

To get myself organized and started I have come up with two questions. I have come up with these two questions because the answer to them will help me understand what my task is and how to successfully complete it.

Starting Questions:

1) what makes a film opening successful?
2) what is an example of a well made film opening and what makes it well made?

Answers:

1) 

In order to answer my first question, I turned to an article on What Culture that discussed the importance of film openings. From the article I gathered that "The most important thing that the opening of a film must accomplish is to establish a tone so that the audience fall into the same mood as the film they are watching " , "Usually the most successful film openings bring a well developed sense of intrigue that will leave you settled into your seat desperate to know more about the story and the characters that are going to occupy your time for the next one and a half to two hours", and that the film opening is very dependent on the genre of the film.

My group has not yet decided what genre we would like to make our film opening, however regardless of what genre we decide I now understand that it is imperative to establish tone and intrigue the audience. Once we decide on the genre we now know to start thinking about what tone we would like to establish based on our genre, how we will establish it, and also how we will Intrigue the audience. 

2) 

Luckily, the article I used to answer my first question also had the answer to my second question.

An example of a successful film opening is: 

 The Shining (1980)




This film opening was successful because it establishes mood/tone without showing a single character. It establishes mood through a series of different shots such as the opening one which is a pan through a lake that establishes a sense of disorientation. Not only does it use a variety of shots it also includes foreshadowing which is key when attempting to intrigue the audience and different sound elements which can help establish mood as well. The film opening also works very well to establish the genre of the film. All of the sound, technical, and visual elements help to establish the mood necessary for a horror film


No comments:

Post a Comment